Tuesday, August 20, 2013

A Traveler Owes

The 17+ hours of flight time en route from LAX to Phnom Penh, Cambodia, yesterday afforded me ample time to reflect, and I could not help but think of the many friends, acquaintances, and sometimes strangers who have made my travels possible over the years, so I thought it only appropriate that my first post be an acknowledgement to all of them because it is to them that this traveler owes many a debt.

I want to thank them--you--for all of kindnesses great and small: the stored bags, the airport runs, the refrigerator and pantry space consumed by random foods and beverages (some better than others), the borrowed cars, the last-minute necessities poached from some closet or cabinet, the random articles left for whatever reason, the cars bought and campers sold on my behalf, and the small and large disruptions that I can only repay with stories and the occasional postcard. If you are one of those friends, you should know that your generosity and hospitality mean more than I say. You make my travels possible. Thank you. This blog is for you.

If you are a traveler and know what it is to have such friends, I would love to hear some anecdote about a kindness that helped you on one of your journeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment